A few weeks back, I submitted a makeup tutorial to join the first ever nationwide search conducted by Avon titled You Make It Beautiful Blogger Challenge. Lucky little me got to be chosen as one of the semi-finalists and I now have the chance to become one of the twenty bloggers who will be part of the Avon Makeup Council.
We were tasked to come up with a look that fits one of the given themes from the makeup set given to us by Avon. Each of us picked a loot bag at random and I got the following:
- Avon Ideal Luminous Blush in E301 Rose Luster
- Avon True Color Eyeshadow Quad in A703 Purple Pop
- Avon Ideal Luminous Invisible Coverage Dual Powder Foundation SPF 15 in IL 008 Natural Beige
- Avon Super Shock Max Mascara in 021 Black
- Avon Ultra Color Lipstick in I12 Hot Pink
- Avon Ultra Color Lipstick in I401 Lava Love
- Avon Ultra Glazewear Lip Gloss in K02 Pink Watermelon
- Avon Glimmersticks Eye Liner in G01 Blackest Black
- Avon Glimmersticks Brow Definer in B01 Soft Black
I decided to go with the Smokey Eye theme as I felt that it suited the color palette I got the most. Not to mention the fact that I’ve always liked Smokey Eyes but have played it safe makeup-wise so far in every event I have attended where I did my own makeup. This is my chance to finally do a Smokey Eye look for all to see, You Make It Beautiful Blogger Challenge – challenge accepted!
I still believe that makeup should enhance one’s natural beauty. After everything has been applied – lashes curled, cheeks flushed, lips lined, puckered, and glossed – it is still YOU that makes the look beautiful. I originally wanted to go all dark and glam in my look but decided to soften the smoke and still see myself in the mirror with a Soft Smokey Purple Eyes Look.
On to the tutorial:
1. Since the smokey eye look can be quite tricky, it may be best to DO THE EYE MAKEUP FIRST before the rest of the face. This will help in cleaning up the look quickly in case of mistakes instead of having to do your entire make up all over again.
2. I also used TAPE AS A “MASK” TO PROTECT FROM FALLOUT. It also helps in keeping the smokey line clean and well-defined. Just make sure it’s the type of tape that easily comes off and will not hurt you once being peeled.
3. Clean brushes are key to the smokey eye look and ASSIGN A BRUSH TO A SPECIFIC SHADE TO AVOID UNNECESSARY MIXING. We want the colors blended but still subtly visible.
4. I first applied the darkest shade in the Purple Pop Eyeshadow Quad, VIBRANT VIOLET ON THE OUTER CORNER OF THE LID AND ON THE CREASE. (#4 in the palette)
5. Then I lined my UPPER LASH LINE WITH BLACKEST BLACK EYELINER WITH A THICK LINE.
6. SMUDGE LINE WITH A COTTON BUD.
7. SOFTEN SMUDGED LINE WITH PURPLE FLIP. (#3 in the palette) Blend also towards the outer corner.
8. USE PINK BERRY ON THE INNER CORNER OF THE LID (#2 in the palette) to add a subtle change in color.
9. REPEAT STEPS AS NEEDED AND BLEND WELL TO GET THE DESIRED LOOK. I find that doing a smokey eye look can be somewhat like doing a painting with the wet on wet wash technique but with dry eyeshadow colors.
10. Blending is crucial to get the subtlety required but NEVER BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT AND MIX YOUR COLORS AS YOU WANT.
11. LINE THE INNER AND OUTER THIRD OF THE LOWER LASH LINE WITH THE BLACKEST BLACK EYELINER. Soften with the Purple Flip shade to match the upper line. Reapply eyeliner on top of the softened line as desired.
12. LINE THE MIDDLE OF THE LOWER LASH LINE WITH LAVENDAR. (#1 in the palette) This will help the other darker lines emphasize the shape of the eyes.
13. Also, USE LAVENDAR ON THE INNER CORNER AND CENTER OF THE LID for subtle contrast.
14 Curl lashes and APPLY BLACKEST BLACK SUPER SHOCK MAX MASCARA ON BOTH LOWER AND UPPER LASHES. This is the ultimate finishing touch for the eye makeup – like icing on a cake. Just make sure to avoid clumping and comb through with a clean lash comb if needed.
15. At this point, I applied my face makeup of foundation, concealer, powder.
15. After which I defined the brows with SOFT BLACK BROW DEFINER GLIMMERSTICKS TO FILL OUT AND DARKEN THE SHADE.
16. Apply BLUSH ON CHEEKS IN ROSE LUSTER. Again, blend well.
17. A CUSTOM LIP COLOR IS THE FINAL STEP – Lava Love as base, followed by Hot Pink, and finished with Pink Watermelon lip gloss to get that statement lip, 3D effect.
It might be easier to see the steps in action so here’s a video on how the look was done:
Finally, my finished look – SOFT SMOKEY PURPLE EYES for the Avon You Make It Beautiful Blogger Challenge.
Voting starts August 12, 12 noon, to August 18, 12 am. Please do vote for me via Facebook. I’ll post the details later once they have updated us on how to vote. I hope you enjoyed and learned from my entry. Thanks in advance and see you in my next tutorial!